33 photographers have today been nominated as finalists for the Kenya Photography Awards 2016.
Out of 1607 photo entries submitted between 23rd March and April 30th 2016, the 33 were nominated in nine different categories: News, Creative, Sports, Nature, Portraiture, Daily Life, Special category (Climate Change), Most Promising Young Photographer and a public voting category for People’s Choice.
The 33 were nominated following a rather rigorous judging process by four judges in the photography industry. The judging was led by Gary Knight, a British photographer, past chairman of World Press Photo Awards and co-founder of the VII photo agency, who was in Kenya to oversee the judging process.
The following are nominees in the nine different categories:
- News: Phoebe Okall, Kevin Onnoka and Daniel Mwangi Irungu
- Daily life: Adam Mower, Georgina Goodwin and Migwi Nthiga
- Sports: Thomas Mukoya, Suleiman Mbatiah and Larry Asego
- Nature: Sebastian Wanzalla, Mwangi Kirubi, Abdul Rahman Mutuma and Georgina Goodwin
- Portraiture: Brian Mwando, John Wambugu, Richard Allela, Selina Onyando, Migwa Nthiga and Joe Were
- Creative: Joseph Kyule, Iteba Alloys, Jared Maina and Larry Asego
- Most Promising Young photographer of the year: Kevin Kariuki, Churchill Oele, Peter Ndungu and Patrick Kamau
- People’s Choice Nominees: Adam Mower, Richard Allela, Brian Mwando, Joseph Kyule, Kevin Kariuki and Peter Ndungu
For the People’s Choice category, the public will vote online for their favorite photo.